Funny English Idioms!
We get it, idioms are weird, and often have nothing to do with their literal meaning. But here is a list of ten of the funniest English idioms and how to use them!
- The lights are on but nobody’s home– used to describe a stupid person
Example: She really has no clue- the lights are on but nobody’s home!
- When pigs fly– about something that will never happen
Example: Yea, right! You will get Taylor Swift to ask you on a date when pigs fly!
- To pig out– to eat a lot very quickly
Example: After the marathon, the runners pigged out at a dinner buffet.
- Everything but the kitchen sink– almost everything has been included
Example: Maria was trying so hard to get the question right, she was throwing out everything but the kitchen sink!
- To put a sock in it– to tell someone noisy to be quiet
Example: Jane was yelling while I was studying so I told her to put a sock in it.
- To have a cast iron stomach– to have no problems eating or drinking anything
Example: I think I would be sick if I ate all that food, but Joe seems to have a cast iron stomach.
- To drink like a fish– to drink heavily
Example: The group at the bar seems to being having a party and you can tell he’s the birthday boy because he is drinking like a fish!
- Use your loaf– use your head, think smart
Example: Come on Parker, use your loaf! I know you can solve this problem!
- Finger lickin’ good– extremely tasty
Example: My mom makes the best steak! It’s finger lickin’ good!